German-Maltese Town Twinning
Mellieha (Il Mellieħa) - Adenau
In Spring 1996, the first town twinning in Malta was founded between
- under the auspices of the Maltese President H.E. Dr. Ugo Mifsud Bonnici. Thus, the Maltese language's vocabulary had to be supplemented by one word: Gemellagg - Town twinning. In 1991, the German-Maltese Society based in Adenau was founded in Bonn/Germany at the instigation of the Maltese Ambassador, H.E. Richard Lapira and the mayor of Adenau, Mr Bernd Schiffarth.
Zabbar (Ħaż-Żabbar) - Eschborn
In 2000, the second town twinning was founded between Zabbar (Cittá Hompesch) and Eschborn Zabbar, with its about 15,000 residents, is the 5th largest city of Malta. It was proudly named "Cittá Hompesch", City of Hompesch, the last Grandmaster of the Order of Malta, Ferdinand von Hopesch, who originated from Germany. In 1798, the Order of Malta's century-long history ended with him.
Żurrieq (Iż-Żurrieq) - Angermünde
are linked together in a town twinning. Zurrieq is in the south-eastern part of Malta and is one of the oldest cities of Malta. Angermünde is connected to the story of Wilhelm Voigt, better known as "The Captain of Koepenick", whose "carreer" ended abruptly, when he was arraigned for check fraud at the local post office and was jailed there for a short time. Cell no. 17 at the first floor of the town hall's left wing has remained unchanged until today still.